G. Criminal Provisions
Under Iowa law, a license to carry a handgun is not valid in any of the following places or circumstances:
- Carry or possess in a “weapons-free zone,” which include: within 1,000 feet of the property of a public or private elementary or secondary school, the property of a public park (except those designated as a hunting area)
- No firearms allowed on a school bus
- No firearms allowed in a casino, unless with the express written permission of the administrator
- Possession or carrying while intoxicated
- Intentional discharge of a firearm in a reckless manner
- Iowa requires a permit to purchase a handgun. A permit may be applied for through local law enforcement, are issued in three (3) days, and are valid for one (1) year. Permits to purchase are not required by holders of a valid Iowa license to carry.
- Lists of people who have licenses to carry or purchase firearms are now private and not publically available
- People with carry permits may carry a loaded handgun (open or concealed) while operating an ATV or snowmobile on other people’s property, so long as the gun is secured in a holster. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm from an ATV or snowmobile, You must dismount first.
For a list of places where carrying a firearm is forbidden, see: [http://gunla.ws/ia5]